Jul 14, 2010

My Top 10 Video Games of All Time

I figured that I should post in this blog more often, and decided on a topic that would be somewhat fun - video games. So here is my Top 10 Favorite Games of all time!

 

 #10
Xenosaga Episode I: Der Wille zur Macht
With more Bible references that you can shake a fist at, and a story that still confuses the hell out of me at times, the Xenosaga series was aimed for Namco's big RPG franchise cut short - when the second game got mediocre sales and reception - from originally a whopping six to three titles. But at least Episode I proved to be engaging, for me at least, as a grand game. The story really is quite complex and dark at times, even more so than most Final Fantasy titles, and the gameplay is actually pretty fun once you get the hang of it. I hope to finish Episode II (finally) so I can see if Episode III made up for II's short-comings, but at least Episode made my list.

 

#9
Street Fighter II: Special Champion Edition
There are many great fighters out there in the industry. But the one that makes my list is the one that revolutionized everything, and paved the way for brawlers everywhere - Street Fighter II. A great roster, addictive gameplay, and awesome music (composed by Yoko Shimomura of Kingdom Hearts fame) - what isn't there that can't already be said about this game? It's awesome! I chose the Special Champion Edition over the original mainly for the option to choose between the regular and Turbo versions of the game, as well as the addition of Vega, Sagat, Balrog, and M. Bison to the roster.



#8
Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master
While the Ninja Gaiden games will get nods from me for being a awesome series, I still consider Shinobi III on the Sega Genesis my definitive ninja game. Challenging on it's own right, Shinobi III was gratifying when you actually beat the game, which I can't say the same with Ninja Gaiden - and made me feel like a badass ninja taking on hordes of ninjas, evil mutants, and robots. Plus, there's a surfing level in Shinobi III! That's pretty awesome right there.



 #7
Kingdom Hearts
Yeah, I admit when I first heard of a game that had both Final Fantasy and Disney characters together, I mocked the concept. But after playing much deliberation, I finally allowed the game a chance. And I was hooked almost immediately. The game was a blast, mixing awesome gameplay with a story that was pretty intriguing, and in a light that made the two separate universe shine. While I was lightly disappointed with it's sequel in terms of story, I can say that I will be excited when the third (and hopefully last) installment gets announced when Versus XIII is finished.



 #6
Sonic 3 & Knuckles
Sonic 3 & Knuckles illustrated the peak of Sonic the Hedgehog, before Sonic Adventure 1 & 2, where afterwards the beloved speeding rodent seemed to tank for the worse with one awful game after another, with a ridiculous amount of unnecessary and stupid characters (and no, Shadow is not cool). While Sonic 4 seems like Sonic may finally go back to what made him great in the first place, only time will tell when fellow fans will be disappointed or not. But at least the blue hedgehog has left behind an awesome legacy on the Genesis in all his 16-bit, Blast-Processing glory!



#5
StarCraft
The RTS that pretty much set the bar for the genre, StarCraft wouldn't be much of a hit if the game wasn't alot of fun to play. Hell, it's almost considered the national sport of Korea! Fun and engaging single player campaign mode, the game really shined with it's multiplayer, when free online gaming was still a huge thing (I blame you, Microsoft, for changing that for the worse). Of course, it's awesome that the sequel (err...the first third of it, anyway) is going to be out after ten years. "Hell, it's about time!"



#4
Shadows of the Colossus
The quest to slay 18 giant Colossi to revive a departed loved one may seem repetitive to some, but for one to truly grasp the majesty of the game need to experience it for themselves. The world is simply beautiful and massive as the Colossi themselves, and the challenge of slaying these beasts while holding tight can be immensely intense. Not to mention the game takes an opportunity to tug your heartstrings when you least expect it (don't worry, I won't spoil anything). For those who may have missed the game, Sony has stated that they are looking into releasing it for the PS3 on Blu-Ray in addition of Ico (which I still haven't played, unfortunately), much like the God of War series.



 #3
Metal Gear Solid
Solid Snake's single adventure on the PS1 is still considered to me Kojima's strongest title in the Metal Gear saga. All the games are awesome, and though the gameplay has improved tremendously with each new title, none really topped the epic story that the first did, save maybe Guns of the Patriots. Not to mention that the fight with Pyscho Mantis, Sniper Wolf, and Liquid Snake himself is reason enough why this game rocks.



#2
Half-Life 2
Much how the original Doom games would change gaming forever, the sequel to Valve's blockbuster Half-Life shooter would change the way we play shooters and games in general - not just in storytelling, but also in the use of physics in gaming. It was Half-Life 2 that got everyone wanting to upgrade their computers just to play the game and got the gaming community buzzing about it's sheer awesomeness. Whether or not Valve will finally give us Episode 3, you can't argue that Half-Life 2 should belong in any shooter fan's (and any gamer's) top ten.



 #1
Final Fantasy VII
While it was not my first RPG - previously before touching this game I had prior experience from Sega's own RPG franchise Phantasy Star - it still remains, in my opinion, the best RPG of all time. While the visual design of the game hasn't really been too kind for this game, the game still excels with it's incredible (albeit often confusing) story, iconic characters, a fun and fast combat system, and being one of the definitive games on the PS1 console. And while many great Final Fantasy games have been released since then, FF VII remains my favorite of the series, and my all-time favorite game. It also gets my top pick for the most epic final boss battle in RPG's.

No comments:

Post a Comment